Friday, November 18, 2005

This Day in History

November 18, 1932
Al Jolson's radio show launches

November 18, 1964
South Vietnamese conduct largest air assault to date

November 18, 1978
Mass Suicide in Jonestown

November 18, 1980
South Korea exports to the United States its dorkiest 14 year old boy named Sung Min Cho. For free.


Some of the observations made that day by yours truly include

- The freeway lane markings are electric lanterns embedded in pavement (I had heard Americans had money to burn)

- The air is very fresh (Seoul was/is much worse than LA)

- There are more white people in Korea than there are in America (Our first apartment was near South Central LA, and not too far from the flash point of the 1992 Los Angeles riots. In Korea we lived near tourist attractions frequented by foreigners)

- An establishment near the airport with a large sign that contains the word "Nude."

(My English vocabulary at the time was limited to about 100 words*. How the word "nude" made its way to the list of the first 100 words is still beyond me and I have no explanation for it even after 25 years of extensive pondering, thinking, and soul searching. Words fail me.)

Here's to 25 more years of extensive pondering, thinking, and soul searching. Be sure to check back on November 18, 2030. Maybe I will have an answer for you by then.

* outside of pronouns, prepositions, conjunctions, and articles. Go to this site if you don't know what they are.

12 Comments:

At November 18, 2005 5:10 AM, Blogger Gary Means said...

I now have reason to celebrate Nov. 18th.

You've obviously come a very long way from 100 words. There is no indication from your writing that English is your second language. You are articulate, insightful, and witty, which is far more than most native-born English speakers can say.

I found this anglicized version of the handy Korean phrase, "dang-geun i-ji" on the internet. I know that it does not really mean, "I'm grateful to God that I have had the pleasure of making your acquaintance", but pretend that it does. Or, perhaps you can find some positive sentiment in the more literal meaning.

 
At November 18, 2005 6:13 AM, Blogger Susanna said...

hear, hear, Gary. David, your English is far more advanced than most native speakers. You've got a grasp on it that most Americans should envy.

that is very funny about thinking there were more white people in Korea than in America!!

Here's to the next 25 years.

 
At November 18, 2005 7:43 AM, Blogger Elevated said...

So are you still FOBby? :P That "NUDE" sign is unfortunately the back drop of some of my fond memories of getting a fast food breakfast next door before getting on the plane to visit Taiwan.

 
At November 18, 2005 8:22 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I was in L.A. in 1980!

I also saw that sign with the word "Nude" in it.

We had stopped for something to eat and as we left the restaurant, I remember seeing a Korean teen standing there staring at the sign... ;)

You grasp and use of the English language is great! You've got a great funny-bone.

 
At November 18, 2005 8:28 AM, Blogger The Gig said...

Nice blog. I do remember most of those dates. You sound quite intelligent. It's great that your English vocabulary is advancing. I wish I could speak another language; however, I can speak a very little Spanish, but not much. Keep up the good work and thanks for visiting my blog.

 
At November 18, 2005 1:10 PM, Blogger C.J. said...

What a life altering event that must have been for you as a 14-year-old kid with limited language abilities. It appears that you have done very well despite the obstacles.

 
At November 19, 2005 6:01 AM, Blogger laura k said...

Great post, thanks for sharing that David. (And happy anniversary.)

Where did your American name come from? Do you use your original name at all?

I have to go back and read your political post. I wasn't up to it before, but am re-joining the world a bit more now.

 
At November 19, 2005 9:06 AM, Blogger Linda said...

David,
Happy Anniversary! It sounds like you have an interesting life story.

btw, all 14-year-old boys are dorky. :)

 
At November 19, 2005 3:56 PM, Blogger Gretchen said...

That's so funny, your first impressions are priceless and yes that "NUDE" sign is just impossible to overlook. Actually I thought for some reason that it said "Nude Nudes"... maybe it's just the blatant nature of the sign that has me confused. What a nice welcome to a new country. =/

 
At November 20, 2005 7:21 AM, Blogger Brotha Buck said...

Happy Anniversary David! Nude is a necessary word, but naked was in there too, I'm sure. David, I'm reading a book, well I've started and when I get a minute I'll finish. Its called The Heavenly Man...a book by Christian Brother Yun. Have you read this and what did you think.

 
At November 20, 2005 7:50 AM, Blogger David Cho said...

Thanks to all for your nice comments. To answer some of your questions.

@Elevated: Of course, and proud of it! But that has not been very successful in attracting FOBby girls.

@L-Girl: As to how I named myself David, that is another story. Maybe I will blog about it. It's kinda silly, but hey that is my life.

@Buck: Thanks Brotha. I can always count on you to set things straight. No, never heard of that book. I will google it.

 
At November 23, 2005 11:44 AM, Blogger San Nakji said...

25년 기념일 정말 축하드립니다.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home