Friday, September 24, 2004

Dear Professor Cho

As some of you know, I moonlight as a part-time instructor at Cal State University, Fullerton teaching undergraduate computer science classes. The following is a series of emails I received from a certain student who was sweating out his grade after taking the final exam.

You will not want to miss the gems. Just as you would do with a novel, be sure to read them from start to finish to fully appreciate the rapidly thickening plot. Without further adieu, here is his first email.

Mr Cho, could you please post the final grade by Monday so I know whether I pass or fail the class. Because the summer class will begin on this Tuesday 5/30 for (course name withheld)(if I fail I have to take again, I know time ahead to register). Last semmester you did not fail any student, can you do again this semmester. God will bless you, and more students will take your class if you pass everyone this semmester. See you later. Your admire student, We all love you.

40 minutes later....


David, please post the final grade so we know what to take for summer. Please don't fail any body. Thank you


I wrote him that grades would be up shortly. He wrote me back.


Thank you David. I need the grade by tonight. Tommorrow thursday is the last day to register for summer school.


Then a few hours later...

Hi David, I am still waiting for the grade to be posted. I can not sleep tonight if I don't see it be posted. Please take care for me.

I finally posted grades on my web site around midnight, a few minutes after which I received the following


David,
It is time for me to confront with you. I have a very strong feeling that you hate me so much. You ignore me the whole time. I could not ask you any questions. When ever I ask you question, you either look up to ceiling or around, ignore me and made me stand there without taking to me. Your attitude is not professional at all toward students. You have to answer why you hate and ignore me. I am going to ask you answer this question in front of the Dean. I should not fail your class if you did not treat me poorly last semester. I can not let your attitude stay any longer in CSUF. You have to act professionally and not prejudice against a particular student. Even though I studied very hard in your class but your altitude influenced my grade. There were many times I tried to be friendly with you by saying "Hello" whenever seeing you in the hallway, but you never bother to say hello to me back. I need your justified answer or I am going to speak to the Dean.

In addition, it seemmed that you don't have enough knowledge for (course ID withheld) class. You always had many excuses and never explained clearly in class. You used so much class time to chat with your favorite students.

(his name withheld)
P.S. you can explain to me by (his phone number withheld)


At 5'7", I can only dream about improving my "altitude." Still can't see how my "altitude" caused him to fail my class though.

7 Comments:

At September 25, 2004 7:12 PM, Blogger Jenny said...

Those letters are not real....are they?! That is so hilarious!

I didn't know that you taught at CSUF. How long have you been doing that? How'd you score that gig? Do you enjoy it?

 
At September 25, 2004 8:49 PM, Blogger Jenny said...

I just remembered that I was going to post my classes for you:

OT101: Orientation to the Old Testament
OT151: Introduction to Hebrew
TH291: Inquiring After God (theological readings)
ED321: Nurturing the Moral Imagination in Adult Christian Education through Literature
SC101: Speech (learning how to read a scripture passage aloud)
CH101: History of Christianity I (50-1550AD)

 
At September 25, 2004 10:05 PM, Blogger David Cho said...

Yes those letters are for real. Why would I make them up. Thanks for posting your classes.

 
At September 27, 2004 7:01 PM, Blogger Jenn said...

Thanks for the good laugh after work! Can you post student essay excerpts in the future, too? I used to be an English tutor in my glory days at Woodbury University (where I met Jenny and how I have come to enjoy your blog), and thoroughly enjoyed the flubs I was given to correct. One student submitted an essay for publication in the Anthology whose opening paragraph closed with the thundering proposition: "That is why I think [background] checking for doctors should be made legal in all 52 states."
:)

 
At May 16, 2006 8:27 PM, Blogger Jenn said...

This is too good! I can just imagine how these emails would have gone down with my professors.

I have one, an American coincidentally, who would have flipped the birdy at the student in particular.

Nice to know that you look at the ceiling when poor sycophants try to address you...what are you thinking off then?

 
At January 05, 2009 3:04 PM, Blogger LPC said...

I had the same experience. Why is it that undergrad students behave like kids.

I publish the deadline for assignments and when the date comes, they still ask for extension right at the date.

Now this dude likes you to hurry up. They think the world revolves around them, no?

LPC

 
At July 22, 2011 6:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAA! I don't envy you your job. Or your stature.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home