Thursday, October 06, 2005

Three Underrated Movies

Name three underrated movies. I need help filling out the Netflix queue

Mine? These are off the top of my head.

Jumanji
This movie received bad reviews primarily because of poor special effects. But come on, people. There is a thing called the "plot." The movie's plot is different from anything that I have been exposed to and its uniqueness makes it hard to classify the film into any particular genre. And Robin Williams and the young Kirsten Dunst put together very fine acting performances that you don't want to miss.

Eleni
This is a story about a mother and her children living through the confusing days of the civil war in Greece. Because of its ideological overtones, the movie got written off as an anti-Communist propaganda film. That is just too bad because it is about the beauty of a mother's love for her children which is deeply touching. On a personal note, I think I like it a lot because the mother in the film reminds me a lot of my own mother. The Cold War is over and so is the debate over Communism, so don't worry about exposing your mind to indoctrination (if there is any).

The Village
That poor guy. In the aftermath of his blockbuster success with the Sixth Sense, movie goers now walk into Night Shyamalan's films bracing for equally suspenseful and shocking endings. People should get a grip, do away with pre-conceived notions, and allow this young talented director to grow without pidgeonholing him.

What are your three? Please comment or better yet write a blog entry about them. Remember, they have to be underrated, which means they have to be either very obscure or disliked and written off by a lot of people and you find yourself in disagreement with them.

7 Comments:

At October 07, 2005 9:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A Murder of Crows - A suspense/mystery that has some names in it, but I'll let you figure out the rest.

Big Trouble - It had terrible timing as it was due to be released shortly after 9/11 and had to deal with "terrorists" (just not like you think). Funny and smart comedy.

The Legend of 1900 - An nice dramatic story about a legendairy jazz player (who never existed) who never got off of a cruise ship (back in the high days of cruising) told with some historical accuracy (some)

-Mike

 
At October 08, 2005 7:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wimbledon (it was really good!)

Bonfire of the Vanities (quirky
but entertaining)

Unbreakable (Knight is the best!)

also:
Raising Arizona (funniest movie of all time)

Man on the Moon & Cable Guy (Jim Carrey not being dumb or Ace Ventura...very nice)

 
At October 08, 2005 8:06 PM, Blogger Brotha Buck said...

I havent seen Jumnji, but I'm a children's book buff, so for that reason alone, I'd probably love the book. I did love the other Chris Van Allsburg inspired movie, the polar express: http://www.chrisvanallsburg.com/flash.html

 
At October 10, 2005 6:38 AM, Blogger Brotha Buck said...

I'll have to check out Harris Burdick, I havent heard of that one.

 
At October 13, 2005 1:05 PM, Blogger Jenny said...

Dave - after that one movie, I know never to take movie advice from you. No offense. :)

 
At October 13, 2005 11:40 PM, Blogger David Cho said...

Thanks Michael. I will certainly add those to my Netflix queue.

 
At October 19, 2005 4:19 PM, Blogger Bad Alice said...

Oh, I loved The Village, too. I thought it was an interesting meditation on how you can't insulate yourself from evil.

My number one underrated movie of all time is Beatrice, sometimes called The Passion of Beatrice. I rarely meet anyone who has ever heard of it. I think it was well enough thought of at the time of its release, but I rarely hear of it anymore. It would make a great double feature with Kingdom of Heaven.

And, yep, Van Allsburg rocks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home