Thursday, November 02, 2006

Just another day

Even though this particular Japanese takeout place isn't known for great food, I love seeing this old lady who always greets me with a radiant smile. Despite her limited command of the English language, her warmth and kindness have attracted a lot of customers to this small joint located in this very Anglo area of Orange County.

The price tag for my lunch order came out to be $7.32. Since I only had a twenty dollar bill, I asked her to hold it while I excused myself out to my car in the parking lot to get some change.

There was plenty of pennies and nickles inside the cupholder. But they were caked in spilled Coke and dog hairs. It was disgusting.

Being a nice guy, I thought I'd wash them before handing them over to this very classy Japanese lady. Returned to the joint, and headed straight to the restroom. Dropped the coins in the sink and soaked them in water for a few minutes to dissolve the fossilized dog hairs and Coke and heaven knows what else.

Finally I made my way back to the counter and placed the coins in her hand. She winced a bit:  Turned out that some were still glistening with moisture. Apparently I did not do a very good job of drying them with the paper towel.

"Oh, I had to wash them."

Her face turned ghost white. Gone was her smile.

She had just seen me emerge from the restroom.

Just another dorky day in my little corner of the world. Nice going, Cho.

17 Comments:

At November 02, 2006 4:28 PM, Blogger SUPER said...

Hilarious. Being the world's largest germaphobe, I can appreciate you feeling the need to clean the coins before handing them over. However, again...being the world's largest germaphobe, I can appreciate her being freaked out by you handing over wet coins after stepping from the mens room.

 
At November 02, 2006 4:58 PM, Blogger Amber said...

I'm laughing so hard I think I hurt myself. You need to send that in to Reader's Digest or something.

 
At November 02, 2006 10:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I did hurt myself! I fell off my chair. YES! Send it to reader's digest!

 
At November 03, 2006 2:14 AM, Blogger Brian J. Buriff said...

Absolutely hilarious. I wish I could have been there to watch.

 
At November 03, 2006 7:53 AM, Blogger Mike Y said...

Just too, too funny! LOL!

 
At November 03, 2006 9:16 AM, Blogger Granny said...

I don't want to speculate on what she was thinking.

 
At November 03, 2006 11:36 AM, Blogger David Cho said...

Sarah,

The "largest" germaphobe? I can think of quite a few germaphoes who are larger than you :).

So you are a germaphobe, but have two dogs?

 
At November 04, 2006 8:06 PM, Blogger The Gig said...

LOL, LOL, you are too funny and you remind me of another germaphobe. Do you remember Brotha Buck and some of his truck stories? That was a germa, germa phobe.

 
At November 06, 2006 9:21 AM, Blogger Oricon Ailin said...

LOL!!! I can just imagine the look on her face!!! *giggles hysterically*

 
At November 06, 2006 9:46 AM, Blogger Elevated said...

hahaha Going back anytime soon?

 
At November 07, 2006 9:06 AM, Blogger Susanna said...

LOL!!!

I love the way you poke fun at yourself on your blog. Ouch. I'm squirmin' in embarrassment for you at the same time I'm laughing.

WTG, David.

 
At November 09, 2006 8:53 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Oh Cho, how embarrassing for you !! I am sorry that your good deed took such a wrong turn.

 
At November 13, 2006 1:18 PM, Blogger The Resident Writer said...

And I thought Asians could do no wrong!

 
At November 13, 2006 6:56 PM, Blogger David Cho said...

What? The lady didn't do anything wrong.

 
At November 14, 2006 11:31 AM, Blogger SUPER said...

Yes David, I am a mega-germaphobe (is that better than world's largest?)...and I have two dogs.

Everytime one of them gets sick on me or drools on me...my dad is convinced that's one less year of therapy I should need for this problem. I disagree and think it's actually adding years!

 
At November 17, 2006 11:46 AM, Blogger Brotha Buck said...

Lol! and as quick and you zipped in and out, she probably figured you didn't wash your hands, but.....on the coins.

 
At November 19, 2006 9:41 PM, Blogger Friar Tuck said...

where is the pic of us at the restaurant. I am waiting. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home