Tuesday, October 31, 2006

What just happened

I seldom use foul language.

People who have known me for years would report having never heard me swear.

This is not to judge those whose vocabulary does include bad words, and I don't want to start a debate on the merits of expletives. I just keep my speech relatively sanitized as a matter of preference.

On the way home just now, it dawned on me that I had forgotten to stock up on Halloween treats. So I quickly drew up a plan to sneak into my house, turn the lights out, and stay holed up in my office just with the desk lamp and the computer on for the rest of the night.

But the part where I was to sneak into the house undetected by the bands of children roaming around the neighborhood was not going to be easy. This is a family neighborhood, and there were lots of them.

So approaching my house, I slowed down my car waiting for the coast to clear. When it seemed to be, I quickly pulled up to the driveway, flew out of the car, and opened up the trunk to retrieve the bag. Time is of the essense. Every second counts. Run David run.

"Trick or Treat"

Startled, I turned around to be greeted by a little boy dressed as Winnie the Pooh and a woman.

Then came out of my mouth:  "Oh s***."

Is there a Halloween version of Scrooge?

There is now.

17 Comments:

At October 31, 2006 8:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL!!!! I can just picture this scene! Very funny. I should have offered to sit at your house for you. I'm sitting at mine wishing for little kids to come by and so far only a few have! So guess who's eating the treats :(

I hope you didn't scare Winnie with that foul language :)

 
At October 31, 2006 8:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is an awesome Halloween story! You are a great story-teller, David.

 
At October 31, 2006 9:17 PM, Blogger SUPER said...

Poor little guy. No candy..AND you swore at him?! He won't forget that one! ha

 
At October 31, 2006 9:20 PM, Blogger C.J. said...

Ah man, you gotta love Halloween! So, I'm curious what you told the poor kid.

 
At November 01, 2006 12:29 AM, Blogger Friar Tuck said...

I can relate to you here.I am not a big fan either, but got to see my nephews tonight and it was fun

 
At November 01, 2006 2:48 AM, Blogger Granny said...

A Grinch. We don't do candy here; we go to a church parking lot for trunk or treat. I keep a few things on hand for the closest neighbors but that's it.

Too many overgrown louts and too many parents with their hands out (and not to help their kids) has spoiled the neighborhood action for me.

 
At November 01, 2006 8:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Intense situation's can bring out the worst in some of us. HA! That's a funny story.
The one time I actually break down and buy candy for Halloween, I only have three trick-or-treators show up at my house. And they were all together.

 
At November 01, 2006 8:18 AM, Blogger Susanna said...

Oh dear!! LOL!!! Poor David :D

Is it wrong that I am sitting here laughing at you because I can SO identify with the predicament :D

 
At November 01, 2006 8:42 AM, Blogger Amber said...

Great Halloween story. I guess I'm the odd one out. I love Halloween. Probably because I'm an overgrown kid and I love the fun of dressing up. I do miss that my kids are grown and no longer go trick-or-treating but I'm looking forward to grandkids.

Here in OH we have a rule - you turn your porch light on if you're giving out candy and keep it off if you're not. Makes things a lot easier on everyone.

 
At November 01, 2006 9:14 AM, Blogger Bruce said...

Here in Texas we do the same thing as Amber: if the porch light ain't on, don't come a-knocking. But you were blindsided by one of those sneaky little kids, and that's just wrong. This was funny though.

B~

 
At November 01, 2006 2:15 PM, Blogger Brian J. Buriff said...

I sneaked into the house last night as well - managing to evade Trick or Treaters. Halloween had been a long day already - spent in a meeting with the likes of Steve Forbes and Rudi Guiliani up in Dayton OH

 
At November 01, 2006 8:39 PM, Blogger The Gig said...

Ha, ha, "surprise!" Caught you in the act. That's cute.

 
At November 02, 2006 6:37 AM, Blogger Amber said...

Can you belive Brian ... name dropping like that. Shameless.

 
At November 02, 2006 7:37 AM, Blogger David Cho said...

Amber, nothing from Brian shocks me after all that Taser stuff.

 
At November 02, 2006 7:38 AM, Blogger David Cho said...

Sarah,

Yeah, no trick or treat from me. Now he may need treatment instead.

 
At November 02, 2006 9:16 AM, Blogger Mike Y said...

That is hilarious. I can totally picture that happening ;) Not because I think you'd do that, but it sounds like something that would happen to me.

 
At November 02, 2006 9:29 PM, Blogger Robert said...

LOL i avoid them by going to my sisters and handing out candy there wouldnt you know i got back here late and at 10 i hear a loud knock on my door its an older kid going *trick or treat8 i told him sorry no candy and also told him he was very late. Wish i had seen your face when you uttered the infamous expletive!!! haha

 

Post a Comment

<< Home