Thursday, August 13, 2009

John Steinbeck rolls over in his grave

It was a picture perfect day at the National Steinbeck Center in Salinas, California.

The walk through the John Steinbeck Exhibition Hall was awe inspiring. I was beating myself up over having read only The Grapes of Wrath, which left me unable to fully appreciate and enjoy the wonderful exhibits showcasing the richness of his writings and characters from his other masterpieces such as Cannery Row, East of Eden, Of Mice and Men and The Winter of Our Discontent, just to mention a few.

Then we walked over the Robobank Agriculture Museum which is also housed inside the Center. The pamphlet promises "the stories of the Salinas Valley 'from field to fork.'"

Couldn't hurt to learn more about the birthplace of one of the world's greatest literary giants, could it? Besides, he was one of our very own, California's native son. Take that, Charles Dickens!

Here is a blurb about the role of telegraph back in the day. It reads (emphasis mine), "there were more Western Union messagaes sent from Salinas."



You know, the man this museum is said to honor was only a Nobel Prize winner in Literature, not the national spelling bee contest winner.

A couple of more gems for you here.



It should read, "most produce," not product. And what is the deal with the incomplete sentence?

As I said, the man the Center is named after was only a Nobel Prize winner in Literature, not in Proofreading.

Here is a picture of an exhibit in Spanish. I am sure it is riddled with typos. Give me a few weeks to brush up on my Spanish. I'll find them for you.



6 Comments:

At August 14, 2009 5:51 AM, Blogger Granny said...

Sounds like you're having a good time. Did you get my message?

 
At August 14, 2009 7:29 AM, Blogger B said...

Why is it so incredibly fun to find mistakes in printed material. I read a ton and it almost makes the book better when I find a typo! It is like a game.

Although my favorite has to be listening to sports announcers/athletes and having a great laugh at their fabulous language skills.

 
At August 16, 2009 5:31 PM, Blogger laura k said...

So glad you made it to the Steinbeck Center!

I'm not sure John would roll over in his grave about a typo. He might just encourage people to express themselves without worrying about spelling - and think you and I are a bunch of nitpickers who miss the point. :)

 
At August 16, 2009 10:45 PM, Blogger David Cho said...

So my blog got him to roll over in his grave then. My point still stands :D

 
At August 17, 2009 1:53 PM, Blogger Susanna said...

David, I've been bad about commenting. I do read all your posts though. Typos drive me crazy--we're a semi-literate world becoming more illiterate. The world needs more proofreaders!

 
At September 03, 2009 4:27 PM, Blogger The Resident Writer said...

I only saw one type-o in espaƱol.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home