Tuesday, December 16, 2008

This should explain the long hiatus from blogging

Shortly after my last birthday, I finally broke down and decided to give "Internet dating" another chance.

Eharmony.com was my logical choice. As you may know, the online service provides a unique system of matching potential partners based on the thorough and comprehensive "compatibility" data its participants provide through the personality test.

I was deeply skeptical and reluctant. The last go-around with Internet dating was an unmitigated disaster:  For the women, that is. Suffice to say it is only by God's grace that I am still alive.

To make the long story short...

On April 23, Camilla from Sacramento, CA showed up as a match. What could I possibly have in common with this Latina bombshell, said to myself during a quick perusal of emails before heading out the door. Not only is her geographic location more than 400 miles away, but her cultural background and mine couldn't be further apart.

To my surprise, she initiated communication with me which I nervously accepted later on that evening. We instantly "clicked" both literally and figuratively. The day marked a magical beginning of 115 consecutive days of exchanging emails and phone calls, which culminated with my long drive to meet her in person back on August 5th.

With a bit of awkwardness in the air, we walked around the city for a couple of hours only to realize later that there was more than just "online romance." Since our distance did not afford us frequent interaction in person, the meeting allowed us to see how truthful we had been with each other.

I was absolutely smitten and captivated by her pervasive beauty. Little did I know that love could be this exhilarating and rewarding after decades in the wilderness of singleness.

After countless rounds of flying and driving back and forth to visit each other, I popped THE QUESTION during her visit down to Orange County last weekend.

To my dismay, she did not say YES right away. Of course, I had been on pins and needles unable to perform even the most basic functions.

Then the phone rang at 8 PM last night. Her first word: "Sí"

A joy incomprehensible. Words fail me.

About an hour later, the phone rang again. Well, this time it wasn't the phone. It was my alarm clock roaring like the Ringwraiths. So I woke up. The lamest dream. EVER.

You have yourselves a nice day now.

24 Comments:

At December 16, 2008 2:00 AM, Blogger David Cho said...

Okay look, after a lame post like this, I fully realize that nobody will ever hire me to write a romance novel.

So you don't need to tell me that.

 
At December 16, 2008 4:45 AM, Blogger Jenn said...

David, after a long hiatus from your blog - that was truly hilarious. Altho am not sure - are you engaged or aren't you?

 
At December 16, 2008 4:59 AM, Blogger laura k said...

You suck. :)

 
At December 16, 2008 7:56 AM, Blogger Bar L. said...

I knew it! I knew you weren't writing because you fell in love!!! I am assuming this post is 100% non-fiction and that you are now engaged to be married. It is real right? I am allowed to be super happy for you right?????

 
At December 16, 2008 8:10 AM, Blogger David Cho said...

Okay so lots of people fail to get this "joke."

People, it's a JOKE. Don't make me explain it. Don't tell me to keep my day job.

 
At December 16, 2008 9:01 AM, Blogger Friar Tuck said...

Good to see you back.

 
At December 16, 2008 9:27 AM, Blogger Jenny said...

LOL - you really had me!

 
At December 16, 2008 10:20 AM, Blogger Tania said...

I believed you. And was really excited.

I've missed your posts. I think you're the only online friend I've ever made. Hope you have a very Merry Christmas!

 
At December 16, 2008 11:53 AM, Blogger B said...

I bought it....maybe you should write a book. :)

By the way, did you see that my Utes are going the Sugar Bowl? Yeah I am pretty excited about that!

 
At December 16, 2008 2:57 PM, Blogger Brian J. Buriff said...

I'm running a special on weddings. Viva el Amor!

 
At December 16, 2008 6:42 PM, Blogger Daniel said...

Dangit, I believed too. You are evil.

 
At December 17, 2008 10:15 AM, Blogger DaveShack said...

You rascal. I told Heather before I read the end...

 
At December 17, 2008 11:06 AM, Blogger Gretchen said...

Ohhh you're bad!!! I was truly excited for you! I met my hubby on e-harmony so it wasn't too far fetched to get caught up on the story!

 
At December 17, 2008 11:20 AM, Blogger David Cho said...

Now you guys are making me feel bad.

Okay, not really. Hehehehe.

 
At December 18, 2008 11:36 AM, Blogger The Resident Writer said...

Oh, you snivelling little snot-brained peice of work!!! What was THAT??? You stink! Was ANY of this real?

 
At December 18, 2008 11:41 AM, Blogger David Cho said...

Hahaha!

My alarm clock. That part is real.

 
At December 19, 2008 10:45 AM, Blogger The Resident Writer said...

If your alarm clock knew what you wrote, it would jump off your nightstand at 6 AM and clobber you on the head!

 
At December 20, 2008 10:01 AM, Blogger laura k said...

If your alarm clock knew what you wrote, it would jump off your nightstand at 6 AM and clobber you on the head!

LOL

 
At December 20, 2008 12:06 PM, Blogger David Cho said...

Does that mean you are looking for an alarm clock costume? Halloween is like more than 10 months away.

 
At December 21, 2008 1:37 PM, Blogger Gary Means said...

David, David, David. I began to read and was hooked. When I got to the end, I was, "WHAT?! Which part was a dream?" I hoped that it was just the part where you proposed. Then as I read the comments, I saw that you were being very, very bad. tsk, tsk.

It's like when another friend posted on her blog that she was pregnant. She was not married, etc. People were surprised, but most were very happy and excited for her. Then she pointed out that the date of the post was April 1. Not funny.

At any rate, it's great to see you blogging again. I really missed your awesome, clever perspective on life.

 
At December 21, 2008 11:31 PM, Blogger David Cho said...

Gary, I actually debated whether to include getting "Camilla" pregnant in the story, and decided against it. Judging from the reaction, maybe I should have :)

 
At December 24, 2008 12:18 PM, Blogger Brian J. Buriff said...

David,

Just dropped in to wish you a Merry Christmas!!!

 
At February 02, 2009 5:13 PM, Blogger SUPER said...

I was getting all excited for you as I read this...and then, you burst my bubble. Nice post David..ya big meaniehead! ha

 
At February 06, 2009 5:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok, I fell for it, hook; line and sinker!!!

hahaha....

I was only hoping.......
sigh.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home