Sunday, May 13, 2007

Seven things about me

Tagged by "Sir" Nathan.

Emerging Grace has tagged me as well, but she only asked for five interesting things about me, which I have yet to respond to, but this time the count has increased to seven.

So I thought I'd respond before the count went up to 100.

1. Back in college, I was a member of a social fraternity named Alpha Gamma Omega. It billed itself as a "Christ-centered" organization whose membership was open only to born-again Christians. The house rules strictly prohibited drinking and dancing which is my excuse for my pathetic dance moves.

2. In 1992, I campaigned for Bruce Hershensen who was Barbara Boxer's rival for the US Senate. I doubt if anyone in Congress today can out-conservative him.

3. I have lived in three different countries - Korea (birth to 5, 7-14), Japan (6-7), and US (since age 14).

4. I aced all three Spanish classes in high school. Nobody came close even though many of my classmates were of Hispanic descent and I was only one year into studying English. But I think it actually worked to my advantage since my brain was already wired to pick up a new language.

5. Not having much to do when school was out, I watched soap operas as a language learning exercise. How in the world am I gonna assimilate into this country of mental cases? I lamented just after two episodes of 'Days of Our Lives.'

6. I have always harbored a deep seated resentment of authority. My grandfather of all people taught me to be that way, which wasn't very Asian of him, to say the least.

7. A root canal sounds much more appealing than having to come up with interesting things about me. My grandfather was a lot more interesting than me. Will blog about him one of these days.

9 Comments:

At May 13, 2007 6:44 AM, Blogger NEB said...

You seem to have assimilated nicely.

 
At May 13, 2007 7:46 AM, Blogger Linda said...

Nice to see you got on this right away David. ;)

The lack of liquor could be part of the problem with the dancing. Seems everyone I knew danced a little better (or at least thought they did) after a few drinks.

What I like about your writing is that you can make any topic interesting.

 
At May 13, 2007 9:49 AM, Blogger David Cho said...

Whoa, Nathan. That was a good one. A very subtle jab, my friend.


grace, thanks. Not sure about drinking to improve my dance moves and embarrass myself.

 
At May 13, 2007 10:00 AM, Blogger Bar L. said...

I remember Bruce Hershenesen.

I bet you were a straight A student weren't you?

:)

 
At May 14, 2007 11:00 AM, Blogger The Resident Writer said...

I don't think Koreans are supposed to be able to dance. I think it's like, an international law or something.

 
At May 14, 2007 5:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL about the soap operas.

You should blog about your grandfather.

And @ grace, yes, dancing happens a little easier when you've had a few ;)

 
At May 16, 2007 9:14 AM, Blogger Shelley said...

Aced Spanish huh... perhaps you could send a little of that knowledge this way :) I'm at the start of my journey to learn the language now... and it kills me ;)

 
At May 17, 2007 11:09 AM, Blogger Jenny said...

I didn't know you lived in Japan! Also, did you know Sergio is moving to San Francisco?

 
At May 20, 2007 2:07 PM, Blogger San Nakji said...

Actually being distrustful of authority is VERY Korean! And a healthy thing it is too :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home