Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Murder on my street?!

Came home to be greeted by about 10 police cars parked just down the street from my house.

And the home just a few houses away has been taped off and the cops are walking in and out of the house as we speak. One of the onlookers says there are bodies in the house.

Nothing ever happens around here!!!!

I have never talked to the people in that particular house. They seem to pretty much keep it to themselves. There is a couple of elementary school aged kids I see walk to the school bus stop.

More details will follow for sure, but this is just too surreal. You just don't expect things like that to happen so close to you.

This is my second brush with a murder victim. At a going away party for my friend thrown by his landlady a few years ago and I engaged in small talk with a woman who lived right across the street. A university professor, she came across as a very bright, but yet unassuming and modest woman who was delightful to talk with.

About 6 months later, I got word from my friend that her ex-boyfriend mutilated her body into pieces and scattered them all over the house. And then he drove his car to a nearby freeway, parked on the shoulder, took all of his clothes off, placed them in a neat stack, and walked in front of a truck to get himself killed. Here is a media account for the tragedy.

So I am a bit shaken up right now. Please say a quick prayer for the victim family.

Update: The police department wouldn't release any information other than that an elderly person's life was in danger requiring medical care. No violent crime took place, according to the woman I spoke with. 10 police cars descending on my quiet neighborhood for that?

About a year ago, I witnessed a huge police presence in the neighborhood. Apparently some dufus was running around setting off fire hydrants.

14 Comments:

At May 03, 2007 8:33 AM, Blogger Gretchen said...

That is really creepy! I had a similar experience knowing a girl that was later killed by her boyfriend. He was a tough looking gang-banger and I had a bad feeling when I met him and later found out why. He was a murderer! It is a horrible feeling to know how evil humans can actually be.

 
At May 03, 2007 1:19 PM, Blogger rubyslipperlady said...

Yikes! So sorry! I pray you and the family are comforted.

 
At May 03, 2007 3:46 PM, Blogger San Nakji said...

Come clean about the hydrants David... The police told me everything... :)

Stay safe!

 
At May 03, 2007 10:18 PM, Blogger Bar L. said...

Wow. That is very creepy. I think you read my blog recently about my son's friends parents being shot at that resort in Laguna...well, I just asked my son how his friend is doing and he said he's moving away to start at a new school where no one will no about his parents. :( sad

I would be shaken up too if I were you.

 
At May 04, 2007 4:59 AM, Blogger Mad Ethel said...

I don't want to live on this planet anymore. Seriously.

 
At May 04, 2007 7:45 AM, Blogger Oricon Ailin said...

I sincerely hope that the woman survived. It's scary to come home to police cars all over the place. I'm used to hearing sirens and seeing police cars in my neighborhood. It's a normal thing for us.

 
At May 04, 2007 1:20 PM, Blogger Friar Tuck said...

Sounds like it is time to move!

 
At May 05, 2007 12:08 AM, Blogger Granny said...

It's normal here too unfortunately.

We had a back yard neighbor a few years back who went beserk shortly after he moved out and murdered two children with a farm implement.

I still get chills thinking about it.

 
At May 05, 2007 11:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Phew. Scary. Good news that it's not actually a murder victim. I guess the police descended when they got word of a "body" and had to find out what actually happened.

I've never had anything quite like that happen. A couple of murders in the park I lived at the edge of in Toronto, along with the fair share of deaths from other causes. But no violent killing sprees...

 
At May 06, 2007 2:00 PM, Blogger laura k said...

"Sounds like it is time to move!"

To where? Is there a town or city in the US free from violence?

 
At May 06, 2007 3:08 PM, Blogger Gary Means said...

Coming home from work one day, I saw a Seattle television station crew with the truck and the lights and everything in front of our dinky little police station.

Then, a little further down the streeet, two blocks from us, there were local police, State Patrol, and FBI at a rental house.

There was a muslim family in that house. They had held regular prayer meetings in the home. But allegedly they were also actively recruiting for Al-Qaeda. This was within a year of 9/11. Soon there was no muslim family in my neighborhood anymore.

 
At May 06, 2007 4:27 PM, Blogger David Cho said...

Gary, has the Muslim family been behind bars?

Laura, I agree. We cannot let fear drive us, which is exactly what is happening.

 
At May 06, 2007 7:21 PM, Blogger laura k said...

"But allegedly they were also actively recruiting for Al-Qaeda."

Operative word: allegedly. The govt can allege anything, and never offers a shred of evidence.

 
At May 06, 2007 9:43 PM, Blogger Gary Means said...

David, I haven't heard a thing since.

L-girl, yeah, I know. Fortunately I don't know from personal experience. However, I have heard many stories on NPR and elsewhere.

However, I work with a woman who often used to joke about the assassination of George Bush as a means of preventing the Iraq war. Of course that was prior to March 20, 2003. She was paranoid at the time about being picked up by homeland security for that and other reasons. But she's never even even hassled by the local police for her political activities, let alone by the feds.

As vocal and indiscreet as she has been both online and in person, I'm kind of surprised. She has dual American-Canadian citizenship, so maybe that figures into it. But, with people actively contending that 9/11 was actually plotted and perpetrated by George Bush, Dick Cheney and Karl Rove, she's probably not even on their radar screen.

It seems strange to me that she vehemently insisted that if George Bush were reelected she would renounce her American citizenship and return to Canada. I guess money won out over principle. However, just from the glance I took at your blog, it seems that you are Canadian by choice. I will have to go back and read more of your story.

David, pardon the length of my response on your blog.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home