Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Blog it!

Blog it!

During one of my visits to an online forum, I ran into the above expression used with little to no elaboration in a pithy manner in response to others' posts. At first, I didn't think much of it other than speculating that they knew each other as bloggers, and it was a way to encourage blogging about whatever the issue was at hand.

Then it became obvious that the expression always surfaced in heated and hostile exchanges, which prompted yours truly to garner enough courage to ask for the meaning of the expression.

Well, the answer to my inquiry was a bit unsettling. According to one poster, it was another way of saying 'Here's a quarter. Call someone who cares.' Now that payphones are becoming a thing of the past, I suppose metaphoric retorts are simply keeping up with the advancement of technology.

Has anyone else seen this or heard it used in real life? The word "blog" has barely settled into our collective lexicon, but before you know it, it has already made it into an expression created specifically to belittle and insult.

Speaking of hostile Internet forum participants, be sure to visit the roster of Flame Warriors. Which one are you?

This is me - Picador


Picador does not engage other Warriors in direct combat. Instead, he uses well placed barbs to goad his adversary into charging while skillfully avoiding the appearance of being the provocateur. He thus guides his enraged target towards certain injury or defeat at the hands of a stronger Warrior. Once the fight has been set in motion Picador will retire to a discrete distance, always ready prod his lance into sensitive areas should the action begin to flag. HINT: Alert Warriors can readily spot Picador because, though he seldom takes a stand on controversial issues, he always seems to be near the fray.

7 Comments:

At February 01, 2006 7:08 AM, Blogger Bruce said...

This was great. I've never heard the term "blog it" used in that context, but it's interesting. Kind of makes me feel self-conscious about what I blog.

And I'll be keeping an eye for Picador.

B~

 
At February 01, 2006 7:30 AM, Blogger Gigi said...

I think I believe it...I blog what I don't have guts enough to say to other people...what I am afraid to say and see the expressions and to misread them (their expressions that is)
So I like the whole of Blog It...

 
At February 03, 2006 9:19 AM, Blogger Elevated said...

This yet again proves how unhip I am. I am so out of the slang loop :P

 
At February 04, 2006 9:22 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

Bean is totally trying to take away your dog's title!

http://clydetombaugh.blogspot.com/

You should get on that!

 
At February 07, 2006 11:32 AM, Blogger Oricon Ailin said...

I am totally uncool then. I don't think I have ever used that phrase. Now, I have said..."I blog because I can." In otherwords, I blog because it is easy for me to do. It is an expressive outlet for me.

But, I am like BJK, I tend to blog thoughts on my mind that I may be too afraid to say in person.

What does that make me??

 
At February 14, 2006 9:41 AM, Blogger Granny said...

I just spent twenty minutes going through the Flame Warriors. I can see some of me in many of them. The main thing I discovered is the reason I stay out of the large forums and stay with the people I like.

They all seem to be so busy scoring points that it makes me wonder what they're doing to actually effect change.

Just not my style. I just say whatever I feel like saying and if people want to categorize me or criticize they're free to do so.

 
At November 28, 2022 4:22 AM, Anonymous Soundproofing Contractors Lynchburg said...

Great sharee

 

Post a Comment

<< Home