Sunday, July 17, 2005

My David Blaine moment

After catching a movie, my date and I decided to get dessert at a restaurant she picked at the spur of the moment.

After we were seated at a table, I turned to her and said, "My crystal ball tells me that in a minute or so, a high school classmate of mine will be walking by."

She responded with a puzzled look, and sure enough, seconds later, my high school classmate named John walked by. I hollered, "John! Remember me from Uni High? David Cho?"

John looked startled, but immediately recognized me. "David!, how the heck are ya?" We exchanged a light (very light, mind you) hug, spent a few minutes catching up, and traded contact information to further catch up later.

By now, my date's jaw had dropped on the floor. "I don't believe you. You set this whole thing up, didn't you?"

Some facts to consider:
  • She, not I, picked the restaurant at the spur of the moment. No, I did not manipulate her into picking that restaurant. It was 100% her choice.
  • I later showed her John's photo in my high school yearbook (Where did that yearbook go?) to prove that he was indeed my HS classmate.
  • Our table was in a partitioned area, so we couldn't see much of the restaurant. John did not become visible to where we were sitting until he was right by the table.
Any other questions?

How did I do it? Post your guesses.

The Prizes for Winners

The first person to guess it right gets a dinner date with me.

The second person to guess it right gets two dinner dates with me.

And so on and so forth...

12 Comments:

At July 17, 2005 5:11 PM, Blogger laura k said...

I have no guesses, but I will stay tuned.

 
At July 17, 2005 7:36 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

You were facing the door and noticed him walk in and wait for a moment at the front which gave just enough time for your amazing prediction?

 
At July 17, 2005 7:51 PM, Blogger David Cho said...

Where we were sitting was in a partitioned area, so being secluded from the rest of the restaurant, we couldn't see the door or much of anything from where we were sitting.

 
At July 18, 2005 6:45 AM, Blogger B said...

He has worked there since high school and since it was a weekend, you knew that he would be there. :) just kidding!

 
At July 18, 2005 7:30 AM, Blogger David Cho said...

No, he was not working there. He was a patron just like we were. Gawwd, that was lame :)

 
At July 18, 2005 8:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You saw him when you walked in and figured he would have to use the men's room which would require him walking by you. Or, more probably, there are just so many people from your HS in the area, that statistically speaking you had very good odds.
-Mike

 
At July 18, 2005 8:37 AM, Blogger David Cho said...

Mike, you are somewhat close, but I predicted the timing. How did I do that?

The area was not near my high school.

 
At July 18, 2005 11:21 AM, Blogger Mantis said...

Hmmm...
I love that Mike & Max both want a dinner date with you! :)

 
At July 18, 2005 11:46 AM, Blogger Kate said...

Now, I'm not after a dinner date, but I'll hazard a guess...

You were located near a reflective surface, mirror or just glass and thus were able to see his approach.

 
At July 18, 2005 11:54 AM, Blogger David Cho said...

Nope. No reflective glass or mirror.

The dinner date thing was a joke, but sigh...if I have explain the joke.

Notice that the second place gets two dates as opposed to one that the first place gets. That means you must be the first to get it right in order to suffer me just once, not multiple times.

 
At July 18, 2005 11:58 AM, Blogger David Cho said...

And even if I was helped by a reflective surface, it wouldn't have been easy to recognize a person that you hadn't seen in years (in this case 10 years when this happened). People change in 10 years. Am looking at my mid-section right now. Sorry for too much information.

 
At July 18, 2005 4:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We're all gonna be kicking ourselves when he tells us...

L-girl

 

Post a Comment

<< Home