Wednesday, June 22, 2005

The first batch from Netflix

I have finally decided to join the world of Netflix after hearing so many things about it. Seems like a good way to go, so I signed up and told my roommate to order Bridget Jones and any movie he wanted.

Why Bridget Jones? Renée Zellweger is the love of my life. Why didn't I see it when it came out in theatres? Because it's a chick flick and I promised myself never to see another chick flick in a public place ever since the English Patient disaster. Will elaborate on it maybe some time in the future, but in a nutshell, I cried to that movie.

I cried when the guy with a disfigured face died.

I cried because I wished it had been me.

It was an aweful, aweful movie. Ever since then, I only see chick flicks in the privacy of my home.

Turned out that my roommate inadvertantly ordered the sequel Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason, not the original which neither of us had seen. Was a little bummed, but now I don't think it will be a bad thing to see the sequel first. We will relive the Star Wars experience and the feelings of exhilaration upon seeing Episodes I, II and III which brought all the pieces of the puzzle together and answered many of the unanswered questions from IV, V, and VI.

The Bridget Jones sequel will inevitably raise questions whose answers can be found only in the first one. I may even wait 5 years, and start the Bridge Jones Diary DVD at 12:01 AM if I feel really serious about replicating the Star Wars nirvana.

May the Force be with you.



(How stupid is this post?)

10 Comments:

At June 23, 2005 8:33 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I cry. Well, maybe not cry but my eyes water up and I have to sniff a little now and then. It doesn't even have to be a chick flick. Just a good ol' family favorite with something a little sad. My wife laughs at me. I guess I'm a sentimental sap.

I'm okay with that.

I think I'll have to go out and rent "Old Yeller" to see if it can still draw a tear.
;~(

 
At June 23, 2005 12:45 PM, Blogger American Girl said...

So you have a crush on Mrs. Chesney do you? Well I happen to be a fan myself and even run a fansite dedicated to her and her new hubby. Check it out if you have time. The url is: http://www.blonde-ambition.net/hello.

 
At June 25, 2005 8:30 AM, Blogger David Cho said...

Thanks for the website, AG. It is amazing to see how she manages to gain to be in a movie and lose that much weight at will.

 
At June 26, 2005 8:15 AM, Blogger laura k said...

Totally stupid, but I totally relate! Enjoy Netflix. I lose my subscription, you gain yours.

Good choice for the love of your life, Ms Z is terrific. I enjoyed Bridget Jones, a nice entertainment, then I passed on the second one.

If it's any help, I cry from everything. I know it's supposed to be ok for women, but I'm supposed to be a tough chick. Oh yeah, this tough chick cries from Mary Tyler Moore re-runs and from My So-Called Life.

Crying is not a sign of weakness - it's a show of an open heart. I've decided that in my own defense. :)

 
At June 26, 2005 1:29 PM, Blogger Jenn said...

Amen, L-girl! Well put.

 
At June 26, 2005 6:07 PM, Blogger laura k said...

Thank you Jenn. :)

And Max: if you don't cry from Old Yeller, you are made of stone. (Good for you for being ok with it.)

 
At June 26, 2005 8:07 PM, Blogger David Cho said...

I "cried" because English Patient was just aweful. Is Old Yeller any good?

 
At June 28, 2005 8:26 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Ahh... Old Yeller. A boy and his dog. Need I say more?

 
At June 28, 2005 9:35 AM, Blogger David Cho said...

Got it. Old Yeller moved up in my Netflix queue.

 
At June 29, 2005 9:23 AM, Blogger Kat said...

you'll cry at the end of old yeller.

"here yeller! come back, yeller! best dog-gone dog in the west!"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home