Wednesday, October 13, 2004

Followup on "Sell by"

I followed the helpful suggestions posted by Stepp and Jenn and placed the eggs in a pot filled with water. The results: 4 floaters and 6 sinkers.

Even though there were 6 sinkers, I chose to dump them all in the trash can, and of course in the process of doing so, I dropped half of them on the floor of my kitchen.

Now on to the next dilemma. What do you do with milk whose "sell by" date has long been gone. Again, the label does not suggest when to consume it by. If we are to go strictly by the sell by date to decide whether to drink the milk or not, are we expected to gobble up the entire jug of milk if it is purchased on the sell by date? Imagine you just purchased the milk at 11:59 PM of the sell by date. You've got exactly a minute. Then again, there is a question of in which time zone the milk was produced and the sellby date stamped on the jug. Some of the stuff we West Coast residents have to deal with. Perhaps that is what lured Jenny to New Jersey.

Though not a physicist, I don't think the "sink test" will work with milk.

Ah...The life of a single guy.

4 Comments:

At October 13, 2004 8:01 PM, Blogger Jenny said...

If the milk gets even close to the sell-by date, I throw it away. There is nothing grosser than drinking spoiled milk and I am not willing to take the chance!

 
At October 13, 2004 8:29 PM, Blogger David Cho said...

So I am wrong about you moving to New Jersey to enjoy the extra 3 hours :)

 
At October 14, 2004 4:56 PM, Blogger Jenn said...

My technique: Put your nose to the open carton. If you find yourself involuntarily thrusting the carton as far as you can get it from your face and simultaneously resisting the gag impulse, then my advice is not to drink it. If this reaction is mild or somewhat voluntary, you may not become ill from consuming the milk, however be fully aware of the risk. This technique is useful up to three days after the "sell by" date. After three days, spare your nose (and anyone else's that's nearby) and just toss it.

 
At October 14, 2004 11:30 PM, Blogger David Cho said...

Thank you all. I guess I will chose to live.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home