I lost my connection to the Internet, so as any engineer would, I rolled up my sleeves and got to work.
- Powercycled the router 4 times. 15 minutes
- Reset the router twice. 10 minutes
- Reconfigured the router twice. 10 minutes
- Powercycled the cable modem twice. 10 minutes
- Called my provider's customer service and was put was on hold. 10 minutes
- Finally talked the customer service. 5 minutes
- Rebooted the computer. 10 minutes
- Drove over to Office Max and back to buy a new router. They were closed. 20 minutes
- Talked to a friend on the phone about my woes. 10 minutes.
Turned out that the network cable was not plugged into the router all the way.
- The amount of time it could have taken to fix the problem. 1 minute.
- The amount of time I wasted - 100 minutes.
- My hardware ineptitude - timeless.