Monday, October 11, 2004

Sell By?

After one of my roommates moved out, I notced that he left a carton still full of eggs in the refrigerator. 'Oh cool,' I said to myself, 'I don't have to make a run to the supermarket.'

Then I noticed the little stamped text on the carton that read, 'Sell by July 23rd.'

Okay, so here is a question. Is it still okay to eat them? It does not say, 'EAT by July 23rd.' I suppose it's too late for me to sell them to an unsuspecting neighbor at the garage sale, but can I at least eat the eggs?

5 Comments:

At October 11, 2004 11:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't eat the eggs!!! (and that's coming from me, who'll eat anything). Eggs will only cost you $1.79 but Salmonella and food poisoning will cost you a lot more.
Marian

 
At October 12, 2004 3:23 PM, Blogger Didi said...

Fill a glass with water and put an egg in the glass. If it floats, DO NOT EAT THOSE EGGS!!! If it sinks, you'll be fine. I have a feeling those bad boys are gonna float. In fact, I'd put money on it!

 
At October 12, 2004 9:16 PM, Blogger David Cho said...

Is there a scientific basis for that Stepp? I filled a pot with water and put them in there. The results: 4 floaters and 6 sinkers. If your theory is correct, then the 6 sinkers will eventually float, right?

 
At October 13, 2004 10:04 AM, Blogger Jenn said...

Kurt and I have eaten eggs well past the "sell by" date so long as they sank in a glass of water. I found this site that has some useful tips:
http://tntn.essortment.com/eggsfresh_oii.htm
Still no scientific explanation, though, sorry.

 
At April 03, 2005 11:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dang! David! you really are square! every one knows that when faced with a questionable carton of eggs the only solution is to get in a car with a bunch of your dudes...and pitch them at things! Crystal

 

Post a Comment

<< Home