Saturday, February 10, 2007

No, I am Sparticus

and the father of Anna Nicole Smith's baby girl.

Since I don't have the kind of pull to call a press conference, this is the only way I know how to make this very important announcement. Hope you don't mind.

You know that the media frenzy surrounding this tragic event has reached critical mass when the very same people - the media - responsible for the feeding frenzy are asking why we are so obsessed with this tragedy. The media is covering the media now that they appear to have run out of developments in order to keep the story alive and on the front page.

The only way for me to make sense out of this bizarre phenomena is through the computer science concept of recursion.

Recursion is exemplified in a function below. Please stay with me.

....................................

function factorial(n)
{
   if (n <= 1)
      return 1;
   else
      return n * factorial(n-1);
}

....................................


What makes the function called "factorial" illustrated above unique and "recursive" is that it calls itself which is something most functions don't do.

Likewise, the media usually cover stories unrelated to the media themselves. The story started out as the death of Nicole Anna Smith who was not a member of the media, but now without another hot off the press revelation in the last five minutes, they have resorted to talking about themselves.

If it does not make sense to you, that is fine. I don't blame you. To understand recursion, you must understand recursion, and therefore, if you don't understand recursion, you won't understand recursion.

Sorry, that was a computer science joke.

I suppose one can etymologically decompose the word recursion to mean to curse again - re(again) + curse, which seems more appropriate at this point.

17 Comments:

At February 10, 2007 8:47 PM, Blogger The Gig said...

Ummmmm, interesting! This sort of reminds me of the Princess Diana tragedy and how the media was obsessed with that story and they still report on the death of Diana because they are trying to find out what really happened.

Did you see Buck's post?

 
At February 11, 2007 1:29 AM, Blogger San Nakji said...

It's just sad she's dead. Our family really enjoyed her. She was a laugh!

Still, I think your formula goes a long way to solving everything... :P

 
At February 11, 2007 7:32 AM, Blogger Granny said...

I watched CNN devote an entire day to this and part of the next and the next.

Not that I was watching the entire time but I know how they work.

 
At February 11, 2007 9:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

to me she represents the extreme example of what happens when we search for happiness outside of God.

 
At February 11, 2007 1:01 PM, Blogger Brian J. Buriff said...

I only made it to Trigonometry and gave up after that.

The mathematical formula of recursion made as much sense to me as Anna Nichole's tragic and sad life.

Lots of prayers go out to her baby...for a non-recursive and non-fractorial future.

 
At February 11, 2007 2:50 PM, Blogger Susanna said...

LOL. I love your sense of humour, David. A bit of programming thrown in for good measure...

it's funny, isn't it, how when we learn a discipline, we start thinking of things in everyday life in terms of that...I can't count the times I've tried to hit ctrl+z in real life, only to be sad that there isn't a ctrl+z function to reality...

 
At February 12, 2007 5:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whatahuh?

Obviously, I'm not a math nerd. But I bet Jacob would understand your joke!

I feel bad for the little baby Dannielyn. She is so precious and innocent and now she's in the middle of a war that will be ongoing for the rest of her life. I'm gonna pray for her.

 
At February 12, 2007 11:39 AM, Blogger SUPER said...

Funny post...sad situation. It amazes me the things people will do.

 
At February 12, 2007 12:26 PM, Blogger The Resident Writer said...

did you mean, "reguritation"?

 
At February 12, 2007 1:09 PM, Blogger rubyslipperlady said...

I'm dizzy now.

 
At February 12, 2007 2:30 PM, Blogger The Resident Writer said...

it seems you have a friend in my fashion advisor.

 
At February 12, 2007 2:33 PM, Blogger David Cho said...

@gig - yes, I read Buck's post. It was funny.

@sn - Never saw her reality show. Is that what you are talking about?

@granny - yeah, I don't know who is at fault. The media or we the consumers.

@barara - well said.

 
At February 12, 2007 2:35 PM, Blogger David Cho said...

@brian - some of my best moments in life were recursive and factorial. Seriously.

@susanna - absolutely. Ctrl-z does wonders but not in real life.

@mad - be sure to have Jacob come over and see me, okay? Maybe we can hang out. Does he like nerdy jokes too, I take it?

 
At February 12, 2007 2:37 PM, Blogger David Cho said...

@super - yes, it amazes me too. The AstroNut gal for example. I know you are only thinking about going off the deep end.

@ruby - dizzy? super will explain it to you.

@merster - huh? I don't get it. Your friend in fashion?

 
At February 12, 2007 4:05 PM, Blogger Oricon Ailin said...

It's just really sad about what has happened.

It's weird though that it made the top media event of the day. We had men die in Iraq, yet Anna Nicole's death and the media surrounding it was the most important thing. *sighs* Our priorities sure are screwed up, huh?

AND...thank you David for all your support and encouragement lately. I appreciate your comments on my blog very much!

 
At February 15, 2007 2:42 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I ignore feeding frenzies. I ignore the majority of maintream news and use alternate news sources most of the time.

 
At February 16, 2007 5:39 PM, Blogger laura k said...

I just wanted to note, similar to worried, that there's no reason to be obsessed with this nonsense, just because the trash media is. If it weren't for the occasional co-worker who mentions it - and you, of course - I wouldn't even know anything was happening. You can choose to ignore the trivial.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home