Monday, February 05, 2007

Do I know you?

What looked to be an ordinary shopping trip to a Costco store turned out anything but.

While I was flipping through the DVD bargain bin, there walked through the entrance this beautiful Asian woman whose appearance could only be described in heavenly language. What made her triumphant emergence even more celestial and enchanting was the thick fog bank in the parking lot from which she descended from like an angel.

Okay, angels usually don't show up with a shopping cart, but please for the sake of discussion, let's not over-analyze.

But there was more to her captivating beauty, the true emblem of the crown jewel of God's creation. She looked really familiar. I had seen her before in person. And more over, we made eye contact and when we did, she briefly paused, and threw another quick glance at me which had me reeling.

I could die a happy man now.

You know the sensation you feel in your stomach that stubbornly gnaws at you when you see someone you recognize, but can't put your finger on who that person is? How could I possibly have met this beauty of this magnitude and had forgotten who she was? And she appeared to recognize me as well.

Though painfully shy at times, I saw this as a defining moment to rise above myself. There comes a time in everyone's life to test the limits of one's courage and determination, and this was it for me.

"Hi, I think I know you. Do I know you?"

"Yes. Pecking Wok"

Said so tersely, and she walked away to the deli section.


********** Flash back to Last Summer *************

It was a sultry day here in Southern California, and I and a couple of colleagues decided to try out this Chinese takeout place near the office. It was a typical Chinese fast food joint where you tell the people behind the counter what items you want, and they scoop the stuff out of the trays on display into a plate which they hand to you at the cashier.



After paying for the two item combination, I proceeded to pick up some napkins and utensils then my mind drifted to heaven knows what. It was lunch time. Give me a break. It happens to everybody.

"Sir, you did not pay for the soda."

Huh? The next thing I saw was a dispenser of the soda fountain from which a stream of Coke was pouring into the cup in my hand.

"Huh?"

"Sir, the cup I gave you is for water, not for a soft drink, " continued the Ice Queen. "That will be $1.25."

So there I was, in front of all these people, fumbling around in my pockets in search of $1.25 while apologizing profusely. She made me pay after catching me allegedly stealing when in fact my mind had blanked out and found me operating a wrong dispenser.

How embarrassing was that? The food wasn't all that great. In fact it was horrible; hence I nicknamed that place "Michelin Tires R Us."

And I've decided against marrying her.

12 Comments:

At February 06, 2007 7:48 AM, Blogger Bruce said...

Bummer, thought we might have a wedding in the near future.

B~

 
At February 06, 2007 8:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

David - she could just be playing hard to get! BUT I think your assessment is correct, you need someone warm and not icy!

 
At February 06, 2007 9:25 AM, Blogger Susanna said...

Haha. Poor David. You have so many misadventures...at least, that you blog about :)

People who appear beautiful are not always that way on the inside...

 
At February 06, 2007 6:15 PM, Blogger Red Dragon Green Dragon said...

I know how you feel. They look great on the outside then they open their mouths and everything comes crashing down.

 
At February 06, 2007 9:16 PM, Blogger SUPER said...

You are so funny. I agree with everyone...inner beauty is a lot harder to find than they physical beauty.

 
At February 06, 2007 9:52 PM, Blogger David Cho said...

bruce - there are tons of weddings.

barbara - icy is not the word, and I had some choice words for her, but had to refrain myself.

thinker - yes, that is my life. Full of missteps

red dragon - well, hello. Thanks for coming by.

super - inner beauty is very hard to find because it is not readily visible. But then why is inner ugliness so easy to find?

 
At February 07, 2007 2:14 PM, Blogger The Resident Writer said...

You guys are all just so picky!

 
At February 07, 2007 4:19 PM, Blogger The Gig said...

LOL, LOL, what a good story. I too was hoping that this would be the start of something BIG.

If you want to find someone beautiful inside and out, that would be someone like "Tamsy" Buck's wife. She's a real winner.

 
At February 08, 2007 8:53 AM, Blogger rubyslipperlady said...

hmmm, inner ugliness does easily stand out to rear it's awful head.

How can we bottle inner beauty and share that with others.

 
At February 08, 2007 5:28 PM, Blogger San Nakji said...

Geez, they should throw those drinks in for free!

I think you should chase this girl. By completely ignoring you she is putting out all the signals that she really wants you!

At least, that's what the Stalker's Guide for Dummies tells us!

 
At February 08, 2007 7:02 PM, Blogger David Cho said...

merster - "You guys"? You guys as in ... special people like myself, I take it?

gig - Wow, how nice of you to compliment your daughter-in-law. Does Buck's mother in law feel the same way about her son-in-law?

ruby - Good question. By blogging? :)

nakji - Where do I get a copy of that book? Or are you working on one?

 
At February 09, 2007 11:16 AM, Blogger SUPER said...

Okay...first of all, I want San Nakji's stalker guide too! ha

And 2nd...the pictures on this post make me hungry for some serious Chinese and/or Korean food. Not much of a selection in my town though. 1 to be exact.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home