Monday, June 26, 2006

Memorable Quotes

Each decade has its own unique characteristic, which slowly but maturely unfolds as the particular events and people fall into place to complete the picture as years pass.

There are many ways to characterize each past decade, one of which is a collection of famous quotes which both reflected and influenced the significant historic events and culture of each period. These quotes, both inspirational and not so inspirational, have forever seared into our collective memory, serving as reference points for fond as well as sobering reminiscences.

I came of age in the 1980's. The most defining moment came when Ronald Reagan stood before the Berlin Wall and declared, "Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall."

Even though President Reagan's role in the death of Communism remains subject to debate, to this boy who had lost several of his relatives to a Communist regime, his unthinkable, but bold proclamation was deeply gripping and inspiring. And lo and behold, the Berlin Wall crumbled down right before our eyes a few years later along with other holdouts of Communism around the world.

Then came the 1990's. I have yet to make a selection between Johnny Cochran's "If it doesn't fit and you must acquit," and President Clinton's "I did not have sexual relations with that woman Monica Lewinsky." I promise to finalize my choice before the current decade is up. It has been agonizing.

But I will say this. With Al Queda breathing down on our neck, and the quagmire in Iraq, I now long for that decade in which we briefly enjoyed a reprieve with neither Communism nor international terrorism weighing heavily on our nation's psyche.

Since this decade isn't over yet, we will not know what the defining quote will be until 3.5 years from now, but at this point, I cannot even think of a good candidate.

What if no meaningful quote emerges from public figures by December 31, 2009? And who says only public figures are entitled to creating historic quotes? How about ordinary Americans just like you and me?

***************************************

About four months ago, I paid a dreaded visit to the dental office. Despite my diligence with dental hygiene, the hygienist did her usual ritual of nipping at my heels about certain parts of my gums which I supposedly had neglected.

It became tiresome and repetitive. I floss more than anyone that I know. I brush more laboriously than anyone. So yeah, whatever.

Sensing my attitude, she whipped out a hand mirror and placed it right in front my face, and said, "Look at yours," then flashed her own gums, "And look at mine. See how mine are nice and pink."

Look at yours and look at mine.

My back hairs stood up:  Both of them.

It has been four months since that incidence, so why am I blogging about it now you ask?

Here's the deal. I'm on edge tonight because tomorrow at 8:30 AM, I will be walking into the local Kaiser hospital for my annual physical exam.

Nobody...says...that...to...me...tomorrow.

Not the doctor. Not the nurses. Not the receptionist. And certainly not the 250 pound parking lot security guard who always greets me with that creepy smile.

Nobody.

AND THAT GOES FOR YOU TOO.

16 Comments:

At June 26, 2006 9:30 PM, Blogger Granny said...

I never expected that last line.

Have you ever considered stand up comedy?

 
At June 26, 2006 9:51 PM, Blogger Granny said...

Bloglines seem to be fixed. I suddenly have 170 new posts showing. Yikes.

 
At June 27, 2006 6:00 AM, Blogger Bruce said...

I wouldn't dare show you mine and I certainly don't expect you to show me yours! I know everything will be fine today.

B~

 
At June 27, 2006 12:30 PM, Blogger laura k said...

Both your back hairs. :-) You crack me up.

 
At June 27, 2006 12:51 PM, Blogger David Cho said...

UPDATE:

Doctor called in sick. Thank you, Lord.

 
At June 27, 2006 3:57 PM, Blogger Friar Tuck said...

Yeah I think the worst physical I had was when I was a senior in high school and my doctor was middle-aged Asian woman substituting who said "drop your shorts, and I realize this is going to be much more fun for me than it is for you."

 
At June 28, 2006 8:12 AM, Blogger Gary Means said...

My worst physical was when I was in my early 20s applying for life insurance (don't ask). In the graduating class of every medical school, there is the top of the class, and there is the bottom of the class. In my opinion, the doctor who was working for Equifax was most likely near the bottom of his class. But then again, it could be said that he was simply classless. His office was small, dark, and cheap. I do remember the creepy look on his face as he snapped on the rubber glove.

My application for life insurance was turned down. I had recently totalled my car and a parked car in a drug-related DUI. So they did an investigation for my application. They came to talk to me at my apartment, but I wasn't home, so they talked to my roommate. First of all, there was this interesting smell in the air, somewhat like buring rope. Which may explain why my roommate told the interviewer that, "Gary doesn't do as many drugs as he used to. He's cut way back."

(BTW, I've been clean since December 1978).

 
At June 28, 2006 11:34 AM, Blogger Susanna said...

heehee. Good luck, David. I hope it isn't too traumatic for you :)

 
At June 28, 2006 5:45 PM, Blogger Brotha Buck said...

I really liked Ronald Reagan. Listening to one of his speeches made me proud. Maybe he was simply a good actor, but I liked him. Now about that physical. I won't joke, my year is approaching fast.

 
At June 28, 2006 11:55 PM, Blogger The Resident Writer said...

About your "How came the canon" curiosity, I would suggest CHURCH HISTORY IN PLAIN LANGUAGE, 2ND EDITION by Bruce L. Shelley.

 
At June 29, 2006 12:21 AM, Blogger The Resident Writer said...

Sure thing.

I heard a fun joke today: A sandwich walked into a bar. The bartender said, "Sorry, we don't serve food here!"

. . . and with that, I bid you goodnight.

 
At June 29, 2006 8:48 AM, Blogger The Resident Writer said...

How 'bout this quote from an average American: "I get totally discombobulated without stimulating reading materials available. I become a naysaying nabobber of negativity when I am forced to relinquish my throne of superior intellect, and condescend to following the latest celebrity buzz with the rest of the uncultured horde of humanity."

 
At June 30, 2006 8:20 PM, Blogger Brian J. Buriff said...

I hate flossing. I'm glad it's not a Bible commandment. I typically do it when the gums start feeling sore or a piece of popcorn gets stuck, or I'm 2 weeks out from my next dental appointment. By the time the 2 weeks are up, the gums always seem to be in ship shape - at least good enough where then don't harrass me about not flossing!

 
At July 13, 2006 7:51 AM, Blogger SUPER said...

I'm obsessed with those little flosser things you can buy. I love them...I can't stop! Sick and wrong? Perhaps..but I bet my dentist will be proud!

 
At July 13, 2006 12:04 PM, Blogger David Cho said...

"little flosser things"? I don't know what you mean. I can certain use them, I am sure.

 
At July 13, 2006 7:38 PM, Blogger SUPER said...

Okay...I call them flossers, but really they are called floss picks.
To see what I'm talking about:

http://www.usdentek.co

I'm telling you, I am out of control obsessed with them!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home