Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Karate School

So I have decided to embark on taking lessons in martial art. It seems like a good way to get in shape while having fun and learning good skills and it sure beats going to the gym and wandering around in the weight room by myself wondering what to do next. My past involvement with martial art includes six months of taking Hap Ki Do lessons back in elementary school, so for all practical purposes, this will be my first time.

At the invitation of the school's head instructor, I decided to stop by to observe a group lesson for adults. A few observations are in order

  • About 50% of them are women.
  • A woman in her 60's is a 4th degree black belt. Saw her make some lethal moves with her fists.
  • Note to self: Do not ask her if she has a cute daughter.
  • If she does have a cute daughter, do not ask her out.
  • Do not marry her.
  • The same goes for her grand daughters.
  • If I join this class, I will start out as the lone white belt. Everybody else is quite advanced.
  • I will be the lone Asian.

So imagine this for a moment. The lone Asian guy at the Asian martial art school is also the lone white belt. You gotta take a picture of that.

5 Comments:

At March 30, 2005 10:50 AM, Blogger American Girl said...

I think that is an awesome opportunity and that you should definitely go for it.

P.S. I do agree that it might be good to not ask out the daughter of the 4th degree black belt.

 
At March 30, 2005 1:36 PM, Blogger B said...

I taken lessons twice in my life. Both times I have belted and had to break boards with my hands to do so. It is a great feeling! I have also found that it rips my stomach faster than any other exercise. Have fun with it!!

 
At March 30, 2005 8:27 PM, Blogger Jenn said...

Aren't Asians supposed to be, like, born able to karate chop and stuff?

Guess you didn't get sick from the Odwalla's...crazy. Someone upstairs loves you. I've known people to get sick off that stuff when it was fresh out of the frige...

 
At March 31, 2005 9:26 AM, Blogger Jimmy said...

You know, it might be kinda fun having a girl that could defend you against the bad guys sometime. Just stay on her good side and you'll have nothing to fear ;)

 
At April 07, 2005 2:09 PM, Blogger Jenny said...

Dave! You'll have to show me your karate moves when I come home for the summer! And I think you should ask the karate woman's daughter out!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home